Thursday, August 18, 2011

Badge Removal

Now I can’t strip and paint Ms. Rusty with her badge still on, so it will have to come off.  Also, the poor badge is not in great shape so it will need some TLC also. 

See all that lovely corrosion?  B4

The badge is attached to the arm by two pins  B1 - labeled

Before you can take off the badge, the pins need to be removed.  One way is to drill them out, but a less invasive way is to straighten the pins and pull them out.  I’m wasn’t sure the second option was viable due to the corrosion, but I gave it a try anyway.

I took a flashlight to look inside the pillar of the arm and see the pins.Flashlight in guts   Flashlight in guts - no flash

See those 2 little green things sticking out? Those are the end of the brass pins.IB3  Badge nail ends (flash)

At first I tried to use a screwdriver, and then a pair of pliers, to bend the pins so they would be straight enough to pull out.  After several failed attempts I eventually gave up and severed the pins.  To do that, I placed the screwdriver against the pin inside the arm and gave the screwdriver a sharp tap with a hammer.

View after the pins were severed - Badge pins severed

Theoretically, at this point the badge should have been easy to pull off the arm.  However, my first guess was correct and the corrosion was too extensive for that to work.  So, I pulled out my drill and carefully drilled out the pins.  Finally the badge came off!

Pins drilled out from badge:  Badge Removed 2

Back of badge:  Back of badgeFront of badge:  Front of Badge

 

Obviously the badge will need some cleaning and polishing, which I’ll cover in a future post.  Believe it or not, Ms. Rusty is nearly completely disassembled – just a few more parts to go.  We’ll cover that next time Smile

1 comment:

  1. how do i remove the counter weight on a bicor vx 1005 model sewing machine? i unscrewed a screw but i cant get it of. help!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete