Saturday, February 2, 2013

Needle Bar Reassembly

Below is a picture of all the parts I’ll need for today’s project – reassembly of the needle bar.


I needed to refer to my previous posts and Needle bar removal Part 1 and Needle bar removal Part 2 to refresh my memory and give me an idea of where to start since the Assembly Manual was a bit lacking.  The first step I took was to re-install the “bar hook”.  The tricky part here was knowing how tight to tighten the screw.  If you go too tight the bar won’t move.  I’m not sure, but I suspect it’s supposed to move because it has a spring attached. 


Next. I turned the wheel stub to bring the needle bar connecting stud to its lowest position.  100_1570

Then oiled needle bar and placed it in Mrs. Rusty with the flat part of the top of the bar (see photo below) toward the arm of the machine.  Inserted the set screw and tightened it.  The assembly manual states to adjust for correct height, but that can’t be done until the bobbin assembly is in place.


I then placed the thread guard into the clamp body. 


Then placed the clamp body onto end of needle bar. It will let you push it up less than an inch so you don’t have to worry about going too far up the bar.  The clamp position screw is attached last.


Last, the needle bar plug was replaced.  It didn’t slide in nicely, so I had to use my rubber mallet to gently coerce it into position.


I had a few parts left over, but those likely are part of the presser bar, which I’ll do next time.



  1. Cool! Ms Rusty will be up and running in no time.

  2. This has amazing to follow. The rebirth of Ms. Rusty.

  3. The spring-like thing looks like the thread guide which as you say is attached to the presser bar. It seems as though the presser bar is virtually the last piece of complex reassembly to be done, since the balance wheel is comparatively simple. Am I right? I hope so. This has been a fascinating journey. I think that if you put the blog posts together into a pdf or an ebook, it might sell even though they are available here; the work to put them together would be worth the price to me even as a mere interested observer.

  4. Pleased to see your work on the old Singer. I am placing an old singer back into use. Model 31-20 that I first purchased in 1970 from a saddle maker. We used the singer to recover seats on the farm and it lived in shops and barns for over 40 years. This treadle machine was converted to after market electric before we got it. But the last 20 years have not been kind and the old laminated deck had fallen apart. Now it has a new deck and seems to be ready to go back to work. 8-) Just need to find one new screw for the cover plate and get new needles. Not bad for an over hundred year old piece of equipment.
    Don't feel bad about slow times at blogging. Sometimes life gives us an over full plate. pg

  5. Really it was an awesome article. Thank you so much for the post it is very helpful, Keep posting such type of articles as Machining